Department of Library & Information Science
Head of the Department: Prof. S. N. Singh (w.e.f. 01/03/2018)
Phone: (+91) 9415618430 (M) & (+91) 8257045500 (M)
The Department of Library & Information Science with a view to equip the libraries with technical manpower in the State was established during the academic session 2002-2003. Prof. A. K. Sharma, the then Vice-Chancellor formally inaugurated the Department on 20th August, 2002 at the Central Library of Mizoram University. The Department offered one year BLIS Program in 2002 followed by one year MLIS Program in 2003. The Department combined both the Programs with integrated MLIS Program of two years duration in 2004 and offered from 2005 academic session. The Department started Ph. D. Program in 2005. Soon after M. Phil. Program started by the Department in 2007 which was the first Program not only in Mizoram University but in the North-East Region as well.
Mission of the Department:
The mission of the Department include:
- Providing quality based education to develop manpower strength to compete at national and international level.
- Providing meaningful education to meet the current demands of the library.
- Developing skill and competencies among the students so as to prove them a productive asset in the library.
- Building library skills and information literacy.
The vision of the Department rests on the principle of developing knowledge based society so as to make a free flow of information and access to it by all communities in the region. Perpetrated with the mission, the Department commits to excellence in service which substantially meets the objectives of the various colleges and university libraries and promotes lifelong learning. The vision also includes:
- Providing adequate and sustainable educational strength to meet the changing needs of the society.
- Developing leadership quality in managing the libraries and providing quality based services for sustainable education and research.
- Equipping the students to meet the 21st century workforce for libraries and academia.
- Strengthening information literacy among the students.
- Encouraging lifelong learning, continuous improvement and research.
The aim and objective of the Department is to equip the libraries with technical manpower for effective services to the user communities. The objectives of Library and Information Science program are to:
- Provide students an understanding of the basic principles and fundamental laws of library and information science and enable them to understand and appreciate the functions and purposes of the libraries in the changing social and academic set-up of North East, India.
- Train the students in the techniques of modern methods in librarianship and management of libraries.
- Acquaint the students with the structure and development of the Universe of Knowledge and Research Methods.
- Make the students proficient in advanced techniques of Classification, Cataloguing and Documentation, and
- Develop specialized knowledge and skills in respect of organization and management of different kinds of libraries and reading materials.
Research Areas/ Overviews:
The research areas undertaken by the faculties of the Department include, Bibliometrics, Scientometrics, Webometrics, ICT in Library and Information Services, Knowledge Management in Libraries, Use of Library Resources, Information Needs and Seeking Behaviour, Library Cataloguing, Academic Library System, Public Library System, Information Systems and Networks, Web Learning, Digital Library, Information Technology, Information Literacy, and Information Retrieval etc.
The Department is running 2 years integrated program in MLIS with an intake of 25 students, M. Phil. with an intake capacity of 5 and 1 (in-service of Mizoram Govt.) candidates and Ph.D. The Department conducts Curriculum Stipulated Study Tour (CSST) in 4th Semester to keep the students abreast with the lively situation prevailing in advanced special libraries/ academic libraries & information centers etc. in the metropolitan cities in India.